The one reply is not any. No metropolis has hosted the current proprietor of Vince Lombardi Trophy (Nationwide Soccer League), Larry O’Brien/Walter A. Brown Trophy (Nationwide Basketball Affiliation), World Assortment Trophy (Fundamental League Baseball) and Stanley Cup (Nationwide Hockey League) within the similar 12 months. The closest any metropolis has come to this point is 1988 when the Raiders, Lakers, and Dodgers all launched championships to Los Angeles. Six completely different events, a metropolis has hosted two out of four champions:
- 1956: New York Giants (NFL) and New York Yankees (MLB)
- 1971: Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL) and Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB)
- 1976: Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL) and Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB)
- 1999: Dallas Cowboys (NFL) and Dallas Stars (NHL)
- 2001: Denver Broncos (NFL) and Colorado Avalanche (NHL)
- 2002: Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) and Anaheim Angels (MLB)
- 2004: New England Patriots (NFL) and Boston Pink Sox (MLB)
School college students of sports activities actions historic previous, nonetheless, are aware that these four trophies have not on a regular basis represented “the” predominant leagues. There are the defunct competing predominant leagues such as a result of the pre-merger American Soccer League or the World Hockey Affiliation to ponder. Moreover, the NBA was not on a regular basis crucial league in basketball, and completely different leagues have an excellent declare to being “the” predominant league for basketball at assorted events. Lastly, we should always all the time a minimal of take into consideration the champions of the Canadian Soccer League considering the number of NHL teams from that nation.
Broadening the definition like this supplies comparatively few cities to our document. Twice inside the late 20’s three of four predominant league champions have been from New York: the Giants, Yankees and Brooklyn Celtics in 1927, and the Yankees, Rangers and Brooklyn Celtics in 1928. The Brooklyn Celtics carried out inside the American Basketball League, at a time when the NBA did not however exist.
Completely different two-champion cities considering these competing and defunct predominant leagues are:
- 1930: Montreal Canadiens (NHL) and Montreal AAA (CFL)
- 1932: Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
- 1942: Toronto Maple Leafs (NFL) and Toronto RCAF Hurricanes (CFL)
- 1944: Montreal Canadiens (NHL) and Toronto HMCS Donnacona
- 1947: Chicago Cardinals (NFL) and Chicago American Gears (NBL)
- 1947: Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
- 1948: Cleveland Indians (MLB) and Cleveland Browns (AAFC)
- 1977: Montreal Canadiens(MHL) and Montreal Alouettes (CFL)
- 1987: Edmonton Oilers (NHL) and Edmonton Eskimos (CFL)
- The Toronto RCAF Hurricanes and Montreal HMCS Donnacona have been soccer teams from assorted armed forces bases which competed for the Grey Cup all through WWII.
- The Chicago American Gears have been inside the Nationwide Basketball League. The NBL merged with the Basketball Affiliation of America (BAA) in 1949 to type the current NBA.
- The Cleveland Browns started their historic previous inside the All-America Soccer Conference. The AAFC competed with the NFL for four years. In 1949 the AAFC partially merged into the NFL, the Cleveland Browns gained the NFL championship the next 12 months.
So whereas no metropolis has completed what’s prone to be a “GrandSlam” of predominant league group sports activities actions, New York (twice) and Los Angeles (as quickly as) received right here shut.